Thursday, July 1, 2010

Post #14 - Tools for creating your masterpiece

At Ken's suggestion (you're checking out his blog right? Go visit him after you're done reading this post.) I've got a list of some software that can help you write your great work. It doesn't matter what you're writing or how good you are it, these tools can help you.

Before I start, I do want to draw your attention here. This is a chart detailing the expenses of some of the leading writing software available. I want you to specifically look at 2 parts: The cost and the features.

Yes, $269 dollars for software. And if you note the features, that $269 doesn't include spellcheck. So you might be able to crank out an entire series of books filled with typos.

So I looked at all these pieces of software...and then looked at my wallet. And then I looked at the material I teach monthly at meetings, where it doesn't cost anyone $269 to get help.

Now I'm not saying that the people who made software shouldn't be paid for their work, and I'm not saying that some of that software is really exceptional for some people, but there has to be a set of tools that I can get TODAY so that I can start writing, TODAY, right?

I found them. Here are 3:

yWriter5 (Cost: FREE) -- I love this program (it's on the laptop). It was not hard to install or figure out, there's an awesome video explaining everything on the website, and it works in much the same way I do - by scenes and in long strings of work. This is definitely a writer's tool developed by someone who writes...there's not a lot of marketing and flash and bells and whistles. This program will get you on the ground floor of your work easily and keep you focused. You'll want to check this out.

Storybook (Cost: FREE) -- Similar to yWriter, this program really focuses on good organizational elements to make the act of writing incredibly creatively and targeted. No more meandering through thoughts, forgetting your notes or skating by when you're not sure. This is a complex story's best friend, thanks to its Plot Strands features (keep track of all your bits, twists and turns). This is the program on one of the writing computers I use.

Pen and Paper
(Cost: Nominal) -- Okay, so my third choice isn't software. But, it is a great tool for your masterpiece. Let's face it: I don't always want to lug around a laptop and the power cord and the cumbersome case. I have things to do, places to go and I think a lot faster (and easier) when I'm not looking for an outlet "just in case". To use this tool:

  • Get a box of pens.
  • Get a few legal pads, steno pads or pieces of paper.
  • Start writing.
I've always got a few pens in my pocket and paper at hand. Far less need for an outlet this way, and it's just faster for to scribble a note like, "Adjust August meetup RSVPs" than get the laptop, dig it out, clear space on the table, plug it in, login to the wi-fi, get on the site, and then start adjusting the things I need. Simple is often better, especially when I need to write.

So that's the sort of stuff I use, but I'm always on the lookout for more or different ideas. Let me know what you're using. If you've got other stuff (free is always a good thing) tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. The pen and paper option (which I initially thought was a clever name for a software program) was a nice touch. And thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete